Category: Financial, Assistive Technology, Made in India,
Organization name: Talking ATM India
Launched Date: 2014-10-22
Who has created it: Sagar Sodah
Problem statement and how the Accessible Innovation solves the problem.
Banks started deploying talking ATMs in India and in short span of time more than 5000 ATMS were deployed by various public sector and leading private sector banks in India.
Since this is an inclusive banking service which is intended to target visually challenged customer base, a need of centralized repository was felt which provides the information to its beneficiaries so that the usage of this empowering banking service can be maximized.
We realized that facility of support services which can help visually challenged in searching closest Talking ATMs were lacking. We reflected on the idea of various platform based locator e.g. Computer, Mobile, Tablet, etc, for convenient and quick search. www.talkingatmindia.org is the first web locator for Talking ATMs in India. The website is developed with the optimum use of client-server technology to ensure smooth navigation and swift search. This website is completely accessible for computer users. Further to add additional easy-to-use feed for searching addresses using mobile phone an advance locator mobile app â€œTalking ATM locatorâ€ we developed.
Other key objectives are to make available talking ATM locations in India as a single repository with easy search, advocating with banks to make available their talking ATM data in the public domain, spreading awareness and putting efforts in boosting usage of talking ATMs.
Today this is the only source of talking ATMs locations from banks having talking ATMs even addresses from those banks which have not made available their list in the public domain but shared it with Talking ATM India.
Tell us who is the target audience and how the accessible innovation will benefit them. Please specify the different target audiences groups and provide numbers and statistics of your current clients as well as what is the potential number of people that the innovation can impact and empower:
ATM in todayâ€™s world is a very important facility for everyone and since 2012 with the Talking ATMs availability in India particularly for the visually challenged. Talking ATM India (http://talkingatmindia.org) project goal is to spread awareness, up-to-date information on locations and increase usage of Talking ATMs in India.
This app is developed for thousands of visually challenged persons in India. In fact this is first of its kind of app which even sighted fellows can also use as it has locations of 5300+ ATMs of 8 banks and they can search easily by PIN or area on the move. Generally apps by banks show only their own ATM locations. Further even banks those deployed this banking service are also beneficiary of this online repository as this app and website has made their locations available directly to the users with ease of access.
Benefits of the mobile app are:
- On the move your can search.
- App is installed locally so no need of internet connectivity for usage.
- App is fully accessible with talkback screen reader.
- Additional bankwise filter option is present.
- You can set filter as per your need.
- App user interface is low vision friendly.
- Now you can search for total 5365 talking ATM locations
- App is available for all android phones having version 4.0 and up.
How is the accessible innovative solution different from current practices or ways of solving the problem?
With the latest version 2.0 one can search from total 5365 Talking ATM locations deployed by 8 banks in India. This app allows you to filter locations by â€˜Bankâ€™ name and by â€˜Stateâ€™. Further you can search by â€˜PINâ€™ or by â€˜Area/road nameâ€™. Once installed this app works totally offline without need of internet connection. This app is simple and accessible with screen reader program talkback. It is also low vision friendly with big fonts and black and white contrast. Another feed available for us on the move.
This app is equally useful for sighted people as they can check nearest ATM nearby on the go without internet need. On a voluntary basis this project is conceived and developed by visually challenged friends.
- This is unique app as no Indian bank has added talking ATM locator feature in their mobile app.
- This is an up-to-date repository of talking ATM locations in India.
- Today this is the only source of talking ATMs locations from banks having talking ATMs even addresses from those banks which have not made available their list in the public domain but shared it with talking ATM India.
- This app has consolidated database of talking ATM locations of 8 banks and its growing.
- This app is developed and maintained by visually challenged persons for the visually challenged community on voluntary basis.
- This is first of its kind accessible talking ATM locator android app in India.
- This is a free app available in google play store.
How is the accessible innovative solution new, different or unique in terms of the technology or implementation?
- Appâ€™s UI is simple and friendly for low vision person with foreground as white and background as black.
- Only for downloading app you need data connection. Once installed this app works totally offline without need of internet connection.
- You can search by Postal code (PIN) or by area/road name.
- It has a feature of add your favorite ATMs to a separate list for quick access.
- It has a feature of to copy the address to share with friends.
- Appâ€™s database is in sync with the websiteâ€™s (www.talkingatmindia.org) 5365 Talking ATM locations from 8 banks which include private and public sector banks in India. App allows you to filter locations by bank name and State wise.
How do you get the innovative solution to reach the target audience? Please elaborate on the your go to market strategy and which geographies do you currently work in and what are your future plans for marketing your innovation.
- Our target audience is large number of visually challenged persons spread across India with banking and ATM access.
- Our app is a unique one as no other such solution is available.
- We have spread the word about its launch and regular updates to dedicated Mailing lists â€“ Access India, Sayeverything, VIB-India, blind bankers of India and Mobile AI of visually challenged.
- We have our Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/talkingatmindia
- We have also keep posting new version updates and features on whats app groups of VI such as AccessibleAndroid, TCC Champions, etc.
- App info and download link on the Talking ATM India site (http://talkingatmindia.org/) home page.
- Our future plan is to have a web app and building repository of 10.000 talking ATM locations. Also to add GPS navigation feature in the app.
What is the potential impact of the innovative solution on the lives of the target audience? Please elaborate by providing statistics of the current impact and the potential impact.
Talking ATM India project and its mobile appâ€™s core purposes is to provide easy search for talking ATM locations and usage of talking ATMs by blind which is well taken care by this app. This project and app is providing repository of the locations, user manuals, demos in audios, contact info and such many things at one place for the approx 8 million visually challenged community using banking in India.
- Total no. of downloads of the app = 450+
- Total number of hits to the talkingatmindia.org site = 26662
- Hits to site year wise: 2014 = 15224, 2015 = 10607, 2016 = 831
- Unique visitors to site year wise: 2014 = 2186 , 2015 = 2455, 2016 = 230
- Total no of Talking ATM addresses as on date - 5365
Stories of how the Innovation has touched lives.
I installed the app and checked its accessibility and usability. Glad to say that, its a wonderful app. Expecting, add to favorite option also in the next version onwards. - from: Timy Sebastian
Happy Wonderful app easy to use! - Tilakprasad Joshi
Talking ATM locator Talking ATM locator is a good app which is only designed for visually challenged persons I really like it and now I am using it. - Vijay Magre
I visit our talking ATM very often. I find it very useful and one of the best initiative by our bank. I spend only 2 minutes there to withdraw my cash and this time is all most equal that my sighted counterparts spend there. It means, I am saving my time and my privacy both. People amaze to see me performing this task without any assistance. -- Talking ATM usage feedback by Arpit Jain, Union Bank employee and a regular user of Union bank's talking ATM.
Talking ATM is really a liberating experience. I didn't need talking ATM till both my parents were alive, but after their death, I didn't want to depend on any outsider so it is a big support. On top of it, a service likehttp://www.talkingatmindia.org allowed to find talking ATMs near me. â€“ from Dinesh Kaushal